The 2018 STI conference will be held 12-14 September 2018 in Leiden (The Netherlands) at Leiden University.
As part of the STI Conference 2018, Katrin Weller, Astrid Orth, Isabella Peters will be organizing a special track on the “Challenges of Social Media Data for Bibliometrics” (#sti18challenge). This specialized track focuses on the ongoing challenges for using data from social media platforms and from third party aggregators as sources for research metrics and scientometric indicators. These challenges include but are not limited to:
- platform-based restrictions in accessing social media data and potential biases resulting from limited access (also: biases introduced by data aggregators)
- black boxes, hidden algorithms, and lack of information about collection processes and context affecting the use of social media data and data aggregators
- lack of understanding of user activities (e.g. motivations to retweet, like, share) and user groups in academic contexts
- incomplete data (e.g. due to missing DOIs or identifiers not tracked by aggregators) and noise (e.g.due to bot-activity)
Please submit your work as short papers (max 3,000 words) until April 1, 2018. See http://sti2018.cwts.nl/submissions for templates, EasyChair access and additional submission information.
Looking forward to your submissions!
- Call for papers and posters: February 12, 2018
- Deadline for submissions: April 1, 2018
- Notification of acceptance: June 15, 2018
- Early-bird registration: June 15 – July 15, 2018
- Conference: September 12 – 14, 2018