Pnina Fichman is a Professor in the School of Informatics and Computing and the Director of the Rob Kling Center of Social Informatics at Indiana University, Bloomington. Her research in social informatics centers on the relationships between information technologies and society, focusing on cultural diversity, information intermediation, crowdsourcing, online communities and virtual teams, as well as online deviant behaviors, such as trolling and discrimination. She is the author or editor of five books and dozens of articles that appeared in journals such as Information and Management, Journal of the American Society for Information Science & Technology, Journal of Information Science, and The Information Society.

Position Statement:

Throughout my entire academic career, ASIST has been a professional home for me. From the beginning, I have been an active member, presenting papers, organizing, participating and leading panels and workshops, and serving on conference program committees and various awards committees. Specifically, I have served as SIG SI co-chair for many years, with colleagues, I have organized its annual research symposium, founded and managed the SI Best Paper Award, and the SI Best Student Paper Award, and co-edited a book that emerged from the10th Annual Social Informatics Research Symposium. I served on two awards committees: Best Information Science Book Award Committee and the ASIST Award of Merit Committee. Finally, I served on the annual conference program committee, and I co-organize the ASIST Doctoral Colloquium.

If elected as Director at Large, I will focus on education and globalization, drawing on my extensive global leadership and administrative experience. First, I will work with colleagues to further develop ASIST Doctoral Colloquium to provide mentorship and networking opportunities to our new colleagues, which I believe will increase ASIST membership in the long term. Second, having lived in three continents and worked in two, and worked to establish inter-institutional international collaboration for the past 3 years, I will do my best to help ASIST enhance its global mission.