Agnes Mainka is a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Information Science at the Heinrich Heine University Germany. Her research interests include smart cities, knowledge society, library services, e-government, open innovation, open data and social media. She is an author of journal articles in information and library science as well as in governmental science journals. Her book “Smart World Cities in the 21st Century” will be published in summer 2018. She is committee member and reviewer of diverse journals and conferences. She is also a member of the Open Knowledge Foundation and serves as a leader of the local group Code for Düsseldorf. Furthermore, she is a board member of OKNRW Institute – an association that facilitates the cooperation between government and society in Germany.

POSITION STATEMENT

At the beginning of my academic career, I became a member of ASIS&T. This has helped me to get in touch with a lot of inspiring persons which have supported me all the time. As a student, I was an active member of the European Student Chapter of ASIS&T and was elected several times as chair and vice chair. Currently, I serve as webmaster of the European Chapter of ASIS&T which is the “big brother” of the Student Chapter. During my board membership, I have organized student competitions, webinars and other activities to encourage our community and to attract new members. Especially at our university, I have involved young students in the ASIS&T community. In 2016, I have organized an evening event during the ASIS&T Annual Meeting in Copenhagen (miniBARcamp), which was very successful in particular through the support of ASIS&T.

If elected as Director at Large, I will help new members and students feel welcome, e.g. through mentorship and networking opportunities. Using my contacts in all smart world cities I can help ASIS&T members to get in touch with information professionals and organizations around the globe. I really enjoy the community collaboration and will further organize webinars and events that are wanted and needed by the community like workshops on improving writing skills or about how to conduct an interview. I believe that it is important to derive a picture of the current opinions and needs of the members and to support them.

As described in the ASIS&T strategic plan 2015-2020, I would like to support the development of membership profiles for various purposes, such as creating speaker bios for use during conferences, identifying potential speakers, matching mentors and mentees, connecting new members with the chapter in their geographic region etc. Personally, I was very pleased to be able to get in touch with ASIS&T members through the membership website. This is how I got in touch with a lot of information professionals in smart world cities. I believe that searching for colleagues around the globe according to their expertise would improve future collaboration.

As my work is related to government science I would like to start collaborations with societies and associations in this academic field to develop a membership-marketing program to increase the visibility of ASIS&T and attract new members. Information professionals are needed within professional and academic work of open government and e-government.