Dr. Howard Rosenbaum is Professor of Information Science in the Department of Information and Library Science (ILS) in the School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering at Indiana University. He has been on the faculty since 1993 and is currently Director of Graduate Programs in ILS. Rosenbaum’s research focuses on social informatics and critical data studies. He has published in a variety of information science journals and presented at ASIS&T, iConferences, and elsewhere. He recently published “Social Informatics: Past, Present, and Future” with Pnina Fichman and “Social Informatics Evolving” with Dr. Fichman and Dr. Madelyn Sanflippo.

Rosenbaum teaches digital entrepreneurship, information systems design, intellectual freedom, and other classes. He has been recognized for excellence in teaching and for the innovative use of technology in education, receiving the 2011 Thomson Reuters Outstanding Information Science Teacher Award from ASIS&T, the 2005 Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence from IU, a 2003 state-wide MIRA Award for Technological Innovation in Education from Techpoint, and the 2002 Indiana Partnership for Statewide Education Award for Innovation in Teaching with Technology.

He has been a member of ASIS&T since 1989, presenting his first paper in 1993. Since then, he has participated regularly in paper and panel sessions, on award committees, an as a reviewer. He has been involved with SIG-SI as a co-chair for many years and helped organize the SIG-SI preconference workshop between 2004-2016. He has been involved in the annual ASIS&T Doctoral Colloquium since 2007 and now co-organizes it with Dr. Fichman.

POSITION STATEMENT

ASIS&T is the premier international organization for academics, students, and practitioners interested in information science and practice writ large. It has been my primary professional association since 1989 when I was a doctoral student and, over the years, I have seen ASIS&T grow, change, and transform itself into an organization with a truly global reach.  After having been involved in the organization for almost three decades and having received much from ASIST, I look forward, if elected, to the opportunity to give back to the organization.

As described in the current strategic plan, each President-Elect sets priorities for his or her term based in the plan’s goals and objectives. If elected, I would encourage us to work on the following:

1.  Membership

We should develop initiatives for attracting new and retaining continuing members. With decreasing travel budgets, people think carefully about which conferences to attend and which organizations to join. We should ensure that ASIS&T is the place people want to be. This effort should be directed at academics, practitioners, and students across the globe. We should consider ways to increase the reach of the organization across disciplinary boundaries, especially since many members are engaged in cross- and multi-disciplinary research. It is also important for the organization to develop strong relationships with institutional members.

2.  Programs/Services/Mentoring

Through programs and services, ASIS&T has the opportunity to meet member’s demands for activities between conferences. We should assess the reach and impact of existing programs and services and expand and strengthen those that have demonstrated value for members and solicit new ones to try.

I have been involved in many doctoral colloquia, have participated in sessions for untenured and mid-career faculty, and have learned that these are valuable experiences for all involved. We should expand mentoring initiatives for doctoral students, untenured and mid-career faculty, and new and mid-career professionals.

3.  Publications/Communications/Social Media

We should continue to refine the organization’s social media strategy and to raise its international profile reinforcing the message that ASIST brings real value to its members.

There is a goal of strengthening the ASIS&T Meeting Proceedings to enable Meeting Chairs and reviewers to receive scholarly publishing credit for their work. We should expand this goal to include ways for paper contributors to receive credit; more specifically, we should explore ways to convince Promotion and Tenure committees to view ASIS&T conference papers as high-quality publications – this is one good way to increase participation by untenured faculty.

4.  Review of the Strategic Plan

Because the president-elect’s term begins in 2019, the last year of the strategic plan, I suggest that we convene a Strategic Planning Task Force charged with beginning a review of the plan during that year, in preparation for developing the next strategic plan. This task force would review the plan, focusing on the extent to which its goals and objectives have been met, and, in light of this analysis, take the initial steps in drafting the ASIS&T 2020-2025 Strategic Plan, following the process outlined in the original plan.