Dr. Jim Andrews is Director of the School of Information at the University of South Florida, and an Associate Professor of Information Science.  He received his Doctor of Philosophy in Information Science from the University of Missouri – Columbia, where he also earned a MLIS. Dr. Andrews’ doctoral work was supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Library of Medicine (NLM), as a Predoctoral Medical Informatics Fellow in the University of Missouri’s School of Medicine. His research and teaching falls broadly within the areas of health informatics and information science, with particular interests in health-related information behaviors in the context of cancer genetics, and terminology and data standards in clinical research. Dr. Andrews has collaborated on research projects funded by the NIH, CDC, IMLS, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). He is on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Education in Library and Information Science (JELIS), and Mousaion (University of South Africa), formerly for the Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA), and currently reviews for a number of information science and health informatics journals. Dr. Andrews is active in various professional and academic associations, including: member of the Program Committee for the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA); Chair of SIG-Health, ASIS&T; former standing committee member and Secretary for the Science and Technology Libraries Section, IFLA; former Chair of the Medical Library Education Section, MLA; and has served on the Executive Boards for the Florida Library Association as well as the Tampa Bay Library Consortium. https://works.bepress.com/james_andrews/

POSITION STATEMENT:

ASIS&T has led information science practice and research through a phase of rapid transformation.  I am running for President-elect because I believe in the importance of the organization’s mission and voice, and I wish to contribute to the next stage in its development.  Through nearly 20 years of academic leadership in information science, and work with complementary disciplines, I have learned a great deal about our evolving discipline, and I would be honored to work “by, with, and through” the Board and the membership to advance ASIS&T’s new strategic objectives.

I hope to build on the work already begun by the ASIS&T leadership and members, focusing on at least three major directions outlined in the Strategic Plan:

1. Membership. We must grow our membership to sustain ASIS&T’s role as the premier global organization for information professionals. That will mean extending our reach to students and professionals from our core and allied disciplines. Serving the interests of our complex global information society requires multiple perspectives, from various levels across the academic and professional sectors. Several objectives within the ASIS&T Strategic Plan pave the way for new and enhanced actions to address membership challenges. In particular, I would like to incentivize recruitment and membership growth, so that all members can participate in strengthening the organization.
  2. Programs/Services/Mentoring.  As a premier professional organization, ASIS&T must seek to understand and meet the evolving needs of its members, and in particular to foster their professional development.  Enhanced initiatives such as SIG-sponsored webinars, and innovative programming formats, have already created more opportunities for continued learning and engagement between annual meetings. I would like to accelerate our momentum in professional development, and significantly increase mentoring opportunities for newer members who are preparing for either academic or industry-based careers. This initiative would incentivize potential mentors, support their mentorship activity, and make such programs more accessible to newer members.
  3. Publicity/Outreach/Advocacy. While strengthening our own numbers, we should also invigorate our partnerships and alliances with other information and technology-oriented organizations and communities of practice. These relationships should develop not only from the top-down, but also through grass-roots member-driven activity. Moreover, we should consider increased organizational support and guidance regarding ways to promote or advocate for the organization and the discipline in various contexts. For example, Goal 4.3. in the Strategic Plan describes ways “bring ASIS&T into policy and media coverage of current events.” Information science goes beyond the technical and service aspects of the field; it also impacts people’s lives. As an organization, and collaboratively with our partners, we need to share expertise, knowledge and best practices in more effective ways that have broader effect.

While Information Science has surged through some massive changes, more challenges lie ahead. I would like to lead the organization and support and collaborate with its members as we move ahead together. If elected, I will encourage new perspectives and creativity, support new synergies with other groups and fields, and advocate for the discipline and our organization.