Dr. Sam Chu is currently an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong (HKU). He was Head of the Division of Information and Technology Studies (2013-16) and Deputy Director of the Centre for IT in Education (2008-17). He completed two PhDs in Education – one focusing on e-Learning from UCL Institute of Education (Ranked 1st in the world – QS 2017) and the other on Information and Library Science from HKU (4th in the world – THE 2018). His research areas extend to gamified learning, 21st century skills, social media, and digital literacies. Being involved in over 60 research projects with a total funding of US$ 7,582,075, he has published more than 270 articles. This includes key journals in the areas of e-Learning, information and library science, school and academic librarianship, and knowledge management. He is Incoming Co-Editor for the journal Information and Learning Sciences, having formerly served as the Managing Editor for Journal of Information & Knowledge Management (2015-2018) and as the Associate Editor for Online Information Review (2012-16). He is also a Member of the Humanities and Social Sciences Panel of the Research Grants Council of HK. He has received a number of awards including Faculty Outstanding Researcher Award in 2013, Faculty’s Knowledge Exchange Award in 2016 and Excellent Health Promotion Project Award from Food and Health Bureau in 2017. In an article published in Scientometrics (2015), he was ranked as the top 66th author in the world regarding his publications in library and information sciences.

POSITION STATEMENT

Currently, the Association is facing a three-pronged challenge unlike any other times since its inception. First, subscription to ASIS&T declines despite reassuring outlooks for our profession. Second, there is a scarcity of publishing outlets within ASIS&T in the same caliber as the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. Third, we have limited successful outreach efforts targeting relevant academic and professionals who can help advance the field with us. When these impending issues are further compounded by ineffective knowledge management processes within the institution, we are slowly losing our edge. Because of all these, I aspire to take ASIS&T a step forward.

My vision is simple: To further elevate the station of ASIS&T to become a world-premier research institute in information sciences. In aligning my vision with the goals and objectives outlined in the 2015-2020 ASIS&T Strategic Plan, I would like to bring about the following key changes if elected:

1. Effective strategic/marketing plans to attract new members and retain existing members. As an organizer for the Symposium on Research Design, Paper Writing and Publishing in Information Science at HKU in 2017, I was able to attract 18 new members to join ASIS&T. Riding onto this, I hope to branch out and draw new members to the Association.
  2. Close collaboration with ASIS&T members to formulate plans for top-tier, quality journals relevant for the Association. As an Incoming Editor, I co-founded a new journal called “Information and Learning Sciences” (Link) that studies the nexus of Information Science and Learning Sciences. I plan to encourage more members to join me in promoting interdisciplinary and multi-topical research in information sciences.
  3. Strong and lasting rapport with relevant professional bodies and academic in advancing the field. Besides being a professor for over 12 years, I have been a professional librarian for 12 years prior, and am currently foraying into entrepreneurship, working as an advisor for two Edu-Tech startup companies. These engagements enable me to be well connected with various professional groups and industry experts from local and abroad. Additionally, as a co-organizer for ICKM 2009, an event that was attended by over 300 participants from more than 20 countries, with about 40% of the participants from the industries, I believe this can give the Association a leg up in the market in the long run.
  4. Development of institution-wide procedures and practices in knowledge capture and transfer to and/or with members. Professionally, as a KM scholar/researcher I have served as the Managing Editor (2015-2018) and Regional Editor for Asia (2010-2015) for the Journal of Information & Knowledge Management. Academically, I have taught a credit-bearing KM course to undergraduate students for a number of years. I believe my professional and teaching background can help drive transformative changes to the Association.

With these fresh perspectives and new energy that I hope to inject into ASIS&T, I believe I can make a positive and significant contribution to the Association if elected as a Director-at-Large.