Brian Detlor, PhD is Professor of Information Systems and Chair of the Information Systems Area at the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada. He also is Visiting Professor at the Centre for Social Informatics, School of Computing, at Edinburgh Napier University in Scotland.

Dr. Detlor has been a regular member of ASIS&T since 1998 when he first joined the association as a doctoral student. His scholarly contributions include multiple presentations at ASIS&T annual meetings, which he regularly attends. He has served on various ASIS&T committees over the years and wishes to lead the association towards success and well-being. Past service within ASIS&T includes serving as: Paper Co-Chair of the ASIS&T Annual Meeting in 2015 in St. Louis; Co-Chair of the ASIS&T Membership Committee in 2018-2019; Panel Judge for the ASIS&T Student Design Competition for the last two Annual Meetings; and Program Committee Member for numerous ASIS&T Annual Meetings. In 1999, he was the recipient of the ASIST ISI Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award. In 2003, he was an invited keynote plenary speaker at the ASIS&T Annual Meeting in Long Beach, California.

Dr. Detlor’s research has been published in several leading Information Systems and Library & Information Science journals, including the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, Journal of Management Information Systems, Information Systems Journal, Government Information Quarterly, and College & Research Libraries. His research interests lie at the intersection of users, information, and information systems. His current research projects investigate the use of digital storytelling by city cultural organizations, and the efficacy of digital literacy training initiatives led by public libraries. His research projects are both nationally and locally funded. In 2013-2014, he served as McMaster University Library’s inaugural Faculty-Member-in-Residence. This year, he was presented with the DeGroote School of Business Award for Community Engaged Research.

Brian obtained his master’s and doctoral degrees at the iSchool at the University of Toronto, and his undergraduate degree in computer science at the University of Western Ontario. He has over a decade’s worth of work experience as a computer programmer, systems analyst, database designer and project lead. He provides business consulting services, including assessing the quality of graduate programs in Canada and the United States, and most recently helping one organization develop a five-year strategic plan. He currently teaches courses in Project Management, e‑Business Strategy, and Qualitative Research Methods. His has held several administrative appointments, including service as Director of the PhD program at the DeGroote School of Business, Chair of McMaster University’s Research Ethics Board, and Chair of the Ontario Council of Graduate Studies Appraisal Committee, Section 2.

More information can be found at https://www.degroote.mcmaster.ca/profiles/brian-detlor/.

POSITION STATEMENT:

It is a great honor to be nominated as a candidate for President-Elect, and I am thankful and grateful for this opportunity to serve. I have been a member of ASIS&T since 1998 and would be very happy to lead and work with the ASIS&T community to help the association reach its goals and aspirations. I believe my business background, research interests, administrative experience, collegial approach, and involvement and participation in the association over the last two decades position me well to serve in this capacity.

I am very proud to be an ASIS&T member. ASIS&T has a rich and lengthy history of over 80 years and is a pioneer in the field of Information Science and Technology. The association uniquely bridges the gap between information science and technology research and practice, and has been pivotal in researching and putting into practice theories, techniques, and technologies to improve access to information. There is a shared and common interest among ASIS&T members to improve the way that information is stored, retrieved, analyzed, managed, archived and disseminated.

In alignment with ASIST’s strategic plan 2015-2020, I whole-heartedly support the Association’s goals of retaining and expanding the membership, strengthening program and services at local and international levels, maintaining and improving ASIS&T publications and communications, enhancing efforts to market ASIS&T to multiple audiences around the world, and capturing ASIS&T institutional knowledge.

To realize these goals, I believe ASIS&T needs to assess the external landscape and its own internal strengths to determine how to compete strategically with other associations. ASIS&T members have limited budgets and more importantly options to select other associations to join. A pro-active branding strategy needs to be set in motion to ensure that ASIS&T captures its intended target market. I also am in favor of diversifying ASIST’s revenue base, such as exploring new program opportunities, revenue streams, joint initiatives with other associations, and collaborations with industry partners.

To carry out these things, I will ask the Association to conduct an analysis of the external landscape (e.g., assess other information-oriented professional associations in terms of their ability to compete within ASIS&T’s target market) and perform an internal analysis of the core competencies that ASIS&T provides. From there, an action plan will be devised and operationalized. Such an action plan will include developing and assessing performance measures, and regular reporting of these measures to the ASIS&T community.

I am confident that ASIS&T has the ability and the means, through its membership, to further position itself as the primary organization to advance the information sciences and related applications of information technology. My background in information systems, library science, business and consulting will be key to positioning the Association well in this regard. I look forward to serving ASIS&T as President-Elect.