Henriette D. Avram
Datatrol Corp.; LC
A systems analyst hired by LC to work on developing the MARC format; She was a key person in this effort; Lilley-Trice consider her important in the area of information science as it is applied to libraries; Lilley-Trice cite her work on MARC I & II, and RECON, as well as her efforts toward a national information network, as her principal contribution; Active in IFLA--held offices.
- 1971 Margaret Mann Award(ALA); 1977 Academic/Research Librarian of the Year(ALA). Other awards, as listed in Wikipedia:
- 1971 Margaret Mann Citation in Cataloging and Classification from the American Library Association
- 1974 Federal Women's Award
- 1977 Honorary Doctorate of Science from Southern Illinois University
- 1979 Academic/Research Librarian of the Year from the Association of College and Research Libraries
- 1980 Achievement in Library and Information Technology Award from Library and Information Technology Association
- 1981 Melvil Dewey Medal from the American Library Association
- 1986 Appreciation Award from the National Central Library of Taipei, Taiwan
- 1987 Honorary Fellow of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- 1988 Joseph W. Lippincott Award
- 1989 Distinguished Executive Service Award from the Senior Executives Association Professional Development League
- 1989 National Information Standards Organization Fellow
- 1990 John Ames Humphrey/Forest Press Award
- 1990 Professional Award from the Special Libraries Association
- 1991 Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Rochester Institute of Technology
- 1992 Distinguished Service Award from the Library of Congress
- 1992 Meritorious Service Award from the American National Standards Institute
- 1993 Honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1997 Honorary Life Membership in the American Library Association
Served on Board of Directors for LITA and ASIS.
Library of Congress, Washington, DC.
124 cubic feet
Title of collection: "MARC Archives;" Documents the work of the MARC program; These are essentially the office files of the program; Files are open with no restrictions.
A detailed description inventory is available from LC for a fee. Also includes 1 tape recording about her work at LC. http://lccn.loc.gov/00579849