The committee will oversee and coordinate the ASIS&T international awards and honors program, ensuring the selection and presentation of all ASIS&T awards and honors consonant with Board approved policies and procedures.
2018-19 Committee Members
Chair: Abebe Rorissa, PhD |University at Albany, SUNY
Vice-Chair: Kendra Albright, PhD | Kent State University
Board Liaison: Emily Knox, PhD | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Staff Liaison: Lydia Middleton, MBA, CAE | Executive Director
- Denise Agosto, PhD | Drexel University | Chair, Award of Merit Jury
- Laura Anderson, PhD | BM Research | Chair, Best Information Science Book Award Jury
- Theresa Anderson, PhD | University of Technology, Sydney | Chair, Best JASIST Article Jury
- Don Case, PhD | University of Kentucky | Watson Davis Award for Service Jury
- Sam Chu, PhD | University of Hong Kong | Chair, Proquest Doctoral Dissertation Award Jury
- Ina Fourie, PhD | University of Pretoria | Research in Information Science Award Jury
- Isto Huvila, PhD | Uppsala University| Clarivate Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Scholarship Jury
- Anita Komlodi, PhD | University of Maryland, Baltimore Campus | Chair, Clarivate Teacher of the Year Award Jury
- Camille Mathieu | Jet Propulsion Laboratory | Pratt Severn Student Paper Award Jury
- Mark Needleman | Cretsos Leadership Award Jury
Role of the Committee
- This committee serves as the umbrella committee under which all ASIS&T international (as distinct from chapter and SIG) award juries operate. The Committee has overall responsibility for ensuring that all awardees are selected in a timely manner consistent with Board-approved award guidelines.
- Provide strategic guidance to the Board on how the Awards & Honors Program may be used to increase member value and the visibility of the organization.
- Annually review criteria, guidelines, and descriptions for all awards to ensure clarity and consistency of wording as well as clearly distinguishing between awards.
- Invite (but not directly solicit) nominations for all ASIS&T International Awards.
- Ensure that juries for all awards are appointed as required by individual award guidelines.
- Ensure that all juries conclude deliberations and provide decisions to committees and to headquarters in the required timeframe.
- Note: direct solicitation of nominations, which was previously a responsibility of the Awards Nominations Subcommittee, will be distributed to the appropriate committee for which it is relevant.
- Other duties as assigned through the annual committee charge.
The ASIS&T community is committed to the values of diversity and inclusion, which we believe support our efforts to achieve and sustain excellence in the information science and technology field. We believe that we can best promote excellence by engaging diverse group members and other stakeholders, and providing opportunities at all levels of engagement for any individual or group that shares these values. ASIS&T leaders, volunteers, and staff will strive to keep diversity and inclusion at the forefront of all program planning and development efforts in order to ensure the most welcoming and engaging environment possible for our stakeholders.