Herner (1937-1997) came to the United States in 1953, as a technical assistant science attache for the British Embassy, a position she held until 1958. The following brief obituary appeared in the ASIS Bulletin in 1997:
With her husband Saul, in 1958 she founded Herner & Co., a specialized business in the fields of information systems, clearinghouses and databases. She retired as president of Herner in 1996. Over the years, she supervised the company’s abstracting, indexing and database projects, and became an authority on nuclear medicine.
Born in Scotland, Mrs. Herner was a physics honors graduate, and was proficient in French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Japanese, and studied Latin and ancient Greek. She was the author of 15 works published in technical journals.