US Naval Academy Librarian (1956-1966); Academy’s first Archivist (1967-1969)
Tate was the first editor of American Documentation. He worked on microfilm technology 1950’s-1960’s (see titles of books) and helped microfilm the great documents of Western Civilization at LC. He was head of the division of photographic reproduction at National Archives. “One of the world’s leading experts on and advocates for microfilm” (Burke). He wanted to modernize the library. He worked on the Scientific Aids to Learning Project which reported on the technical problems of microfilm and its uses in libraries and schools. He also was head of the libraries at MIT. At MIT, Tate worked on a new 3 year Aids to Learning project studying the futures of printing, microfilm, moving pictures, sound records, and automated bibliographies. He edited the Journal of Documentary Reproduction 1938-43. See biographical information in Dictionary of American Library Biography.
American Documentation Institute: President (1948-1949)
Vernon Tate Papers:
Department of Rare Book and Special Collections, University of Michigan (three collections: The Vernon Tate papers date 1929-1989 and comprise 47.5 cu.ft., including materials that document Tate’s personal interests and activities along with many aspects of his professional career as a historian, librarian, and archivist: correspondence, speeches, articles, meeting minutes, annual reports, newsletters, conference proceedings, press releases, dissertation research materials, and photographic and micrographic research notes. The George H. Harmon papers include information about Tate, and span 1959-1985, 12.4 cu. ft. arranged in five series: 1. National Microfilm Association file arrange alphabetically, 1964-1984; 2. General subject files arrange alphabetically, 1959-1982; 3. general correspondence arranged chronologically, 1966-1984; 4. companies and organizations files arranged alphabetically, 1959-1985; 5. publication files arranged alphabetically by title, 1964-1984. The library also houses the ASIS records (1939-1990), 93 cubic feet)