The Awards and Honors Committee shall assist the Board of Directors by formulating, reviewing, evaluating and updating for board approval (1) policies for sponsoring awards and honors and (2) guidelines defining these awards and honors. The committee shall oversee and coordinate the ASIS&T awards and honors program insuring the selection and presentation of all ASIS&T awards and honors consonant with board approved policies and procedures.
Co-Chair: Soo Young Rieh, University of Michigan
Co-Chair: Ken Fleischmann, University of Texas
Board Liaison: Abebe Rorissa, University at Albany, SUNY
Denise Agosto, Drexel University
Katriina Bystrom, Oslo and Akershus University
Linda Rudell-Betts, Los Angeles Public Library
Michelle Kazmer, Florida State University
Daniel Alemneh, University of North Texas, Chapters Ex Officio
Kristene Unsworth, Drexel, University, SIGs Ex Officio
Lydia Middleton, Executive Director, Ex Officio
- Solicit nominations for and present the ASIST Awards as listed above. Due Dates are specified in specific award guidelines.
- Ensure that juries for all awards, including, but not limited to, those under this committee’s jurisdiction, are appointed as required. Due Dates as appropriate.
- Ensure that all juries conclude deliberations and provide decisions to committees and to headquarters in the required timeframe. Due Dates specified in specific award guidelines.
- Solicit nominations for all ASIST awards. Special postings to ASIST and Non-ASIST e-mail lists for individual awards or groups of awards are encouraged. Solicit nominations for awards presented by other groups for which ASIST members could be nominated. Due Dates are specified in specific award guidelines.
- Suggest revision to awards guidelines as appropriate. Due Ongoing.
- Review award wording to ensure that award terminology is appropriate for our global organization and make recommendations as appropriate (e.g., there is different terminology used for “dissertation proposals” in other countries such as “confirmation of candidature” and this may need to be reflected in the wording of award criteria and descriptions). Due July 1, 2017.
- Complete charge from 2014 to look more closely at some of the awards that seem ambiguous in their definitions and possibly-overlapping in terms of pools of candidates and suggest clarification/rewording. Due March 2017.
- Propose how this committee could work if ALL awards were consolidated under the Awards & Honors Committee (e.g., what would be the optimal structure of the committee). Due March 1, 2017.