Bob Williams Research Grant
Bob Williams Research Grant is awarded to an outstanding research proposals exploring the history of information science and technology. Researchers working on all topics relevant to the history of information science and technology are encouraged to apply and will be considered. The grant consists of funding of up to USD $2,000 along with a certificate signed by the chair of ASIS&T SIG-HFIS.
To encourage a diverse range of proposals:
- All topics and disciplinary approaches relevant to the study of the history of information science and technology will be considered.
- Nominees and nominators need not be ASIS&T members.
- Winners need not be present at the ASIS&T annual meeting (but are encouraged to attend).
Award winners shall be selected by a jury appointed by SIG-HFIS. The Chair of SIG-HFIS serves as the Chair of this jury. The Jury shall make one award or none, and reserves the right to designate runners-up if the quality of the entries so merit.
- Applicants who have received funding from a Bob Williams Research Grant in the past five (5) years are not eligible to apply.
- Submissions must be in English.
- All funds must be expended by June 30 of the year following the grant.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the central topic or question to be researched to the history of information science and technology
- Novelty and originality of the proposed research
- Potential intellectual impact in the field and implications for practice
- Quality and feasibility of research design and methodology
Proposals must include:
- A cover letter (no more than 2 pages)
- A brief curriculum vitae (no more than 2 pages)
- Research proposal (no more than 5 pages in total), including:
- the topic and question of the project
- an extended abstract identify research objectives and goals (approx. 2 pages)
- Methodology and research design (indicating the current stage of the process) (approx. 2 pages)
- Description of past work and qualifications and experience with similar projects (approx. 1 page)
- a budget detailing how the funds will be expended, attached as an Appendix
Submissions should be emailed to the SIG-HFIS at email@example.com
Submissions are due on June 15, 2023, by 11:59 p.m. US Pacific Time.