Bob Williams Research Paper Award
. All topics relevant to the history of information science and technology may be proposed. This award provides a prize of up to USD 500 along with a certificate signed by the chair of ASIS&T SIG HFIS.
To encourage a diverse range of submissions:
- All topics relevant to the history of information science and technology will be considered.
- The paper may have been previously published or submitted to a journal.
- Winners need not be present at the ASIS&T annual meeting (but are encouraged to attend).
Award winners shall be selected by a jury appointed by SIG HFIS. The Chair of SIG-HFIS serves as the Chair of this jury. The Jury reserves the right to make no awards as well as to designate runners-up if the quality of the entries so merit.
- Applicants who have received funding from a Bob Williams Research Paper in the past two (2) years are not eligible to apply.
- Self-nominations and nominations of others’ work are both welcome.
- Submissions must be in English.
Submissions will be judged based on the intellectual and disciplinary traditions in which they are situated, but the following merit criteria will be applied:
- Relevance of the central topic or question to the history of information science and technology
- Significance of the central topic or question
- Presentation of the relevant literature
- Appropriateness of methodology and effectiveness of its application
- Quality of argumentation and analysis
- Potential impact on future research and/or implications for practice
- Quality of writing
Submissions must include:
- A cover letter addressing how the paper contributes to the history of information science and technology
- A current CV/Resume of the author
- The paper, carrying no author identification
The winner(s) will be acknowledged with a certificate presented by the Chair of SIG HFIS during the SIG business meeting at the ASIS&T annual meeting. Attendance at the annual meeting is highly encouraged, but not required. A prize of USD $500 will be distributed by SIG HFIS in coordination with ASIS&T headquarters.
Submissions and nominations for the awards should be emailed to the SIG-HFIS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions and nominations are due on June 15, 2023, by 11:59 p.m. US Pacific Time.