February 2021 Governance Update
The Board of Directors met on February 8, 2021 via video conference. In attendance were Brian Detlor, PhD (President); Naresh Agarwal (President-Elect); Clara Chu, PhD (Past President); Ina Fourie, PhD (Treasurer); Sam Chu, PhD (Chapter Assembly Director); AJ Million (SIG Cabinet Director): Anna Maria Tammaro, PhD; Dan Wu, PhD; Lydia Middleton, MBA, CAE (Executive Director); and Steve Hardin, MLIS (Parliamentarian)
The consent agenda, which was approved included the following:
- Draft Minutes of 12 December 2021 Board Meeting
- January 2021 Membership Report
Brian Detlor reported on the following:
- He announced that Steve Hardin has submitted his resignation from the Parliamentarian position. Brian thanked Steve for his service. It was agreed that a broad call for volunteers should be sent out to fill the position,.
- He met with Steve Sawyer to discuss JASIST vision. The editors of JASIST and JELIS conducted a meetup with members of both associations.
- He would like to continue to do meet-ups in collaboration with ALISE (and potentially iSchools) on such topics as COVID, Diversity, Collaboration, Online Education, and membership.
Executive Director Report
Lydia Middleton reported on the following:
- Membership is holding steady
- New staff have been hired
- Audit is nearly completed
SIG Cabinet Report
AJ Million reported the following:
- SIG-AI has been approved
- SIGs have been tasked with developing their own mentoring programs
Chapter Assembly Report
Sam Chu reported the following:
- He is working on developing knowledge-sharing opportunities for chapters
- He will soon schedule the first Chapter Assembly meeting
- We still need to find a Chapter Assembly Deputy Director - a call will go out in the next Inside ASIS&T
Strategic Plan Update
Lydia Middleton walked the board through the strategic plan tracking document. Lydia reported that this will be added to the website.
Intellectual Property Policy
Lydia Middleton reviewed a proposed policy for Intellectual Property. There were several recommended edits. Lydia proposed that she make the edits and share the policy for vote over iConnect.
Ina Fourie reported that the Budget and Finance Committee met earlier in the week and reviewed the financials. Everything is looking good at the current time.
The Board would like to review the comparison of publishing options before voting on which platform it supports.
Next Board Meeting
The next meeting of the Board will be held as follows:
Monday, 12 April 2021
8 - 10 am EDT
Via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89220727285
All current members of ASIS&T are welcome to attend as observers without voice or vote.