June 2021 Governance Update
The Board of Directors met on June 14, 2021 via video conference. In attendance were Brian Detlor, PhD (President); Naresh Agarwal (President-Elect); Clara Chu, PhD (Past President); Ina Fourie, PhD (Treasurer); Sam Chu, PhD (Chapter Assembly Director); AJ Million (SIG Cabinet Director): Agnes Mainka, PhD; Anna Maria Tammaro, PhD; Dan Wu, PhD; Lydia Middleton, MBA, CAE (Executive Director); and Chris Cunningham, PhD (Parliamentarian)
The consent agenda, which was approved included the following:
- Draft Minutes of 12 Apr 2021 Board Meeting
- May 2021 Membership Report
- May 2021 Financial Statement
- May 2021 Merrill Lynch Statement
- 2020 Wiley Publishers Report
Brian Detlor reported on the following:
- The Executive Director Annual Evaluation is complete. He will be giving the Board a report on the evaluation in executive session at the end of the meeting.
Executive Director Report
Lydia Middleton reported on the following:
- Membership is holding steady. However, as we gain Tier 2 (free) members we are losing Professional members. So while our membership numbers look good, our dues receipts continue to go down.
- The financials for FY21 (ending June 30) are looking very good, especially with the forgiveness of the PPP loan.
- The transition to a July-June dues year is going well.
- Several strategic objectives are coming to fruition, particularly Information Matters and ARIST.
- The individual awards have all been chosen. The publication awards should be done by the end of June.
- There were 35 applicants for the Distinguished Member Program. Those applications are now being reviewed.
- Annual Meeting is the top priority for the remainder of the year.
SIG Cabinet Report
AJ Million reported the following:
- He hopes to develop a list of activities SIGs can do throughout the year to incentivize SIGs to be more active.
- The Board is asked to consider an amendment to the SIG Officer's Manual that is designed to encourage SIGs to utilize their annual allocation or explain why they did not. The Board approved the revised wording to the SIG Officer's Manual.
Chapter Assembly Report
Sam Chu reported the following:
- He has created a website where chapters can share best practices. He has interviewed various successful Chapters and shared that information on the website.
Deanna Hall shared the Curator's Work Group proposal for activities related to fulfilling the Knowledge Management Task Force's recommendations. The Board had no concerns so she will convene the Task Force to begin work on the plan.
Pamela Yonker presented the Marketing Plan which is a key deliverable of the Strategic Plan. The Board encouraged her to proceed with the action items of the plan.
The Board approved the Draft FY22 Budget as presented.
The Board approved the draft ARIST Editor-in-Chief Position Description and gave useful feedback to the Committee on proceeding with developing a business plan for a new ASIS&T Journal.
Next Board Meeting
The next meeting of the Board will be held as follows:
Monday, 9 August 2021
8 - 10 am EDT
Via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81981132598
All current members of ASIS&T are welcome to attend as observers without voice or vote.