Purpose of the Award
To recruit, engage, and retain new members and to identify potential for new leadership in the Association.
The applicant must meet the following qualifications:
- Applicants must have been ASIS&T members in good standing for up to (3) years at the time the award is made and be a current member at the time of application.
- Applicants must be willing and able to make a two-year commitment to the New Leaders Program of ASIS&T.
- Applicants must be willing and able to travel to the two ASIS&T Annual Meetings that align with the two years of the award. For example, if the award is made in 2018, award winners must be willing and able to attend the 2018 and 2019 Annual Meetings. A modest travel stipend and registration support are part of the award.
- Prior New Leader award winners, members of the Leadership Committee and New Leader Jury Members are not eligible.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Potential for future leadership within ASIS&T
- Matching among placement choices with appropriate short- or long-term projects
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm US Pacific Time on the deadline date.
Applications must include:
- A statement (no more than 550 words) that addresses the following:
- Any previous involvement in ASIS&T and the benefits the applicant has received from their ASIS&T membership;
- The applicant’s leadership experiences, including a) leadership positions held in ASIS&T and other organizations and b) leadership qualities or skills the applicant possesses; and
- Why the applicant wants to participate in the New Leaders Program, including a) what they hope to contribute to ASIS&T and b) what they hope to gain professionally and personally
- Why the applicant has selected their three placement choices and if there is a specific project or goal associated with their selections
- A current CV
Along with the application, applicants must select their top three placement choices among the list of Student Chapters, Regional Chapters, Special Interest Groups (SIGs), or Committees with which they would like to be involved.
Award winners shall be selected by a jury composed of ASIS&T members.
Up to eight (8) awards may be given each year.
Nature of the Award
Awardees will be assigned to work closely with a Chapter, SIG or Volunteer Leader in ASIS&T. One or more mentors will be selected for each awardee, based on the unit to which the awardee is assigned. The award consists of up to US$1,000 total in travel expense reimbursement to defray the cost of attending two Annual Meetings. This must be split over two consecutive Annual Meetings, with the reimbursement cost of a single meeting not to exceed US$500. In addition, awardees will receive free conference registration for the two years of their participation in the program (excluding tutorials, workshops and other special events, although these can be reimbursed from the travel expenses provided).
Presentation of the Award
The award shall be presented at the Awards Ceremony held during the ASIS&T Annual Meeting.
- Jury Appointment: March 15
- Submission Deadline: March 31
- Selection Deadline: May 15
- Unit and Mentor Assignment Deadline: September 15
[revised 3/17][revised 2/18]