Purpose of the Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize an individual member of the Association who has shown continuous dedicated service to the membership through active participation in and support of ASIS&T programs, chapters, SIGs, committees, and publications.
The nominee must meet the following qualifications:
- Nominees shall be current members in good standing and have been ASIS&T members for at least eight years.
- Prior Watson Davis Award winners, members of the Watson Davis Jury in the year that the award is given, and the Membership Committee Chair in the year that the award is given are not eligible.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Dedicated service to ASIS&T as evidenced by the amount of participation in, leadership of, and support to ASIS&T programs, chapters, SIGs, committees, publications, etc.;
- Sustained, active involvement in ASIS&T;
- Engagement in activities that create a meaningful impact on ASIS&T communities.
Nominations must be submitted by 11:59 pm US Pacific Time on the deadline date.
Nominations may be submitted by an individual or jointly by any chapter, special interest group, or any other official unit of the Society. Nominations must include:
- A letter of nomination with supporting reasons for the choice of the nominee. Specific information about the quality and length of service of the nominee should be provided, with careful consideration given to the words continuous, dedicated service, and membership.
- A comprehensive list of the contributions of the member to ASIS&T. Such contributions need not have been on a national level, but nominees should show strong continued service to the Association. Good sources for this data are the ASIS&T Headquarters, the nominee’s resume, and other members.
- Up to three (3) supporting letters of nomination that provide additional detail on the nominee’s contributions to the Association.
Award winners shall be selected by a jury composed of ASIS&T members:
- Each juror shall vote yes or no on whether any nominee shall be chosen. If more than half of the jurors vote no, then the nominee shall be rejected. If less than half of the jurors vote no then the nominee remains among the selection group and shall be scored.
- Each juror shall score the nominees on the criteria on a Likert scale of 1 to 7 (1 being very low; 7 being very high). The criteria shall be weighted as follows:
- Dedicated service to ASIS&T – 50%;
- Sustained, active involvement in ASIS&T – 30%;
- Engagement in activities that create a meaningful impact on ASIS&T communities – 20%.
- The Jury Chair shall total all the scores and declare the recipient to be that nominee with the highest total.
- Multiple awards in a single year are possible.
- In the event that no nominee can be declared the awardee, no award shall be given that year.
Nature of the Award
The Watson Davis Award, commemorating the founder of the Association, was established in 1975. The award is sponsored by the Association-at-Large and is administered by the Membership Committee. The award shall consist of a plaque to be presented to the recipient by the Chair of the Membership Committee at the Awards Ceremony of the ASIS&T annual meeting.
Presentation of the Award
The award shall be presented at the Awards Ceremony held during the ASIS&T Annual Meeting.
- Jury Appointment: March 15
- Submission Deadline: March 31
- Selection Deadline: May 15
[Approved by Board: 10/31/91][revised 5/95][revised 6/97][revised 2/18]