Call for Papers: 21st International Conference on Discovery Science (DS 2018)
21st International Conference on Discovery Science (DS 2018)
St. Raphael Resort, Limassol, Cyprus, 30-31 October, 2018
(*** In conjunction with ISMIS 2018 ***)
The 21st International Conference on Discovery Science (DS 2018) provides an open forum for intensive discussions and exchange of new ideas among researchers working in the area of Discovery Science.
The scope of the conference includes the development and analysis of methods for discovering scientific knowledge, coming from machine
learning, data mining, intelligent data analysis, big data analysis as well as their application in various scientific domains.
We welcome papers that focus on the analysis of different types of massive and complex data, including structured, spatio-temporal and network data. We particularly welcome papers addressing applications. Finally, we would like to encourage contributions from the areas of computational
scientific discovery, mining scientific data, computational creativity and discovery informatics.
DS 2018 will be co-located with ISMIS 2018, the 24th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems. The two conferences
will be held in parallel, and will share their invited talks.
We invite submissions of research papers addressing all aspects of discovery science. We particularly welcome contributions that discuss the
application of data analysis, data mining and other support techniques for scientific discovery including, but not limited to, biomedical, astronomical and other physics domains. Applications to massive, heterogeneous, continuous or imprecise data sets are of particular interests. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
• Knowledge discovery, machine learning and statistical methods
• Ubiquitous knowledge discovery
• Data streams, evolving data and models
• Change detection and model maintenance
• Active knowledge discovery
• Learning from text and web mining
• Information extraction from scientific literature
• Knowledge discovery from heterogeneous, unstructured and multimedia data
• Knowledge discovery in network and link data
• Knowledge discovery in social networks
• Data and knowledge visualization
• Spatial/temporal Data
• Mining graphs and structured data
• Planning to learn
• Knowledge transfer
• Computational creativity
• Human-machine interaction for knowledge discovery and management
• Biomedical knowledge discovery and analysis
• Machine learning for high-performance computing, grid and cloud computing
• Applications of the above techniques to natural or social sciences
Papers may contain up to fifteen (15) pages and must be formatted according to the layout supplied by Springer-Verlag for the Lecture Notes
in Computer Science series. Submitted papers may not have appeared in or be under consideration for another workshop, conference or a journal,
nor may they be under review or submitted to another forum during the DS 2018 review process.
Authors can submit their papers electronically via our submission page through Easychair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ds20180 .
PUBLICATION AND JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUES
The DS 2018 proceedings will be published by Springer in LNAI (Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence) and will be available at the
conference. Authors of best papers will be invited to submit their extended versions to the Machine Learning journal (https://link.springer.com/journal/10994) published by Springer. Fast Track Processing will be used to have them reviewed and published.
• Paper Submissions due: 28th June 2018
• Notification of Acceptance/Rejection: 18th July 2018
• Camera-Ready Versions of Accepted Papers: 28th July 2018
• Author Registration: 31st Juy 2018
• Early Non-Author Registration: 10th September 2018
• Late Non-Author Registration: after 10th September 2018
• George Angelos Papadopoulos (University of Cyprus, Cyprus)
Program Committee Co-Chairs
• Larisa Soldatova, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK
• Joaquin Vanschoren, Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands