Skip to content

Governance Update

FEBRUARY, 2020

The Board of Directors met on February 19, 2020 via video conference. In attendance were Clara Chu (President-Elect); Brian Detlor (President-Elect); Elaine Toms (Past President); Ina Fourie (Treasurer); Emily Knox; Agnes Mainka; Soo Young Rieh; Ana Maria Tammaro; Jim Andrews (SIG Cabinet Director); Michael Olsson (Chapter Cabinet Director); Lydia Middleton (Executive Director); and Steve Hardin (Parliamentarian). The Guest was Charles Quatt, Compensation Consultant.

Consent Agenda

The consent agenda, which was approved included the following:

  • Draft Minutes of 15 January 2020 Meeting
  • January 2019 Financial Statement
  • January 2019 Membership Report
  • Publications Committee Report
  • ED Report

President’s Update

ASIS&T President Clara Chu reported on the following items:

  • Brian Detlor has started participating in the weekly calls with Lydia Middleton
  • Annual Meeting planning continues and the Uncommons option has been communicated to the SIGs.
  • ASIS&T Hour is going well. A complete schedule for the remainder of Clara’s year has been developed (see schedule here).
  • We are restarting the Meet the Author Webinar Series, with Steve Harding acting as moderator.
  • We would like to extend the duration of the next Board meeting to 2 hours. This was approved.

SIG Cabinet Update

Jim Andrews reported the following:

  • All SIGs have received their current financial statements
  • The Cabinet met last week and discussed increasing webinars and the use of funds.

Chapter Assembly Update

Michael Olsson reported the following:

  • The organizers have decided to postpone the Wuhan meeting indefinitely.
  • We have received a request from a chapter to use Chapter Development funds retroactively. The Assembly will decide on next steps.

Compensation Policy

Lydia Middleton introduced Charlie Quatt, an expert in compensation in the DC Association market. Charlie shared the following:

  • Compensation increases typically take two forms, merit and incentive.
  • Merit Increases:
    • Merit compensation is a combination of cost of living and recognition of good work.
    • Merit increases in the DC association market have averaged 3% over the last 10 years.
    • Merit increases are typically budgeted as a pool and then allocated based on performance. Some staff may get less than 3% if they have not been performing well and some may get more, but the total pool available to award merit increases is 3%.
    • While it could be argued that giving merit increases (beyond cost of living) is rewarding someone for doing the job they were hired to do, as is often the case in academic settings, in the association marketplace the prevailing model is to give regular annual merit increases to recognize good work (not tied to specific outcomes)
    • Merit increases are permanent and increase the overall salary of the individual.
  • Incentive Compensation
    • Incentive compensation can be tied to specific revenue-generating activities (like sales/sponsorships) and is treated as a commission or tied to specific outcomes based on the strategic priorities of the association
    • Incentive compensation is generally based on a scorecard of key strategic priorities.
    • It is a reward for both organizational and individual performance.
    • Incentive compensation for the chief executive in associations of our size averages 10% with lesser amounts to staff below the chief executive.
    • Incentive compensation is awarded as a bonus and does not increase the overall salary of the individual.

IMLS Grant Proposal

After providing some additional information regarding the IMLS Grant Proposal, Soo Young Rieh and Clara Chu recused themselves and left the meeting. Brian Detlor took over as chair of the meeting to discuss whether or not ASIS&T should be a sponsor of this program. The Board agreed that some additional information was needed to make a decision. That information was obtained and the Board ultimately voted to sponsor the program.


MARCH 2020

The Board of Directors met on March 18, 2020 via video conference. In attendance were Clara Chu (President-Elect); Brian Detlor (President-Elect); Ina Fourie (Treasurer); Emily Knox; Agnes Mainka; Soo Young Rieh; Ana Maria Tammaro; Jim Andrews (SIG Cabinet Director); Michael Olsson (Chapter Cabinet Director); Lydia Middleton (Executive Director); and Steve Hardin (Parliamentarian). Guests were the ASIS&T Staff.

Consent Agenda

The consent agenda, which was approved after removing the AMPC Terms of Reference, included the following:

  • Draft Minutes of 19 February 2020 Meeting
  • Draft Minutes of 28 January 2020 EC Mtg
  • Draft Minutes of 26 Feb B&F Comm Mtg
  • February 2020 Financial Statement
  • Merrill Lynch YTD Report
  • February 2020 Membership Report
  • History Committee Reports
  • Draft AMPC Terms of Reference
  • ED Report

President’s Update

ASIS&T President Clara Chu reported on the following items:

  • She and others will be developing welcome videos for the Annual Meeting
  • The AMPC is still working on securing keynote speakers for the Annual Meeting
  • The deadline for submissions will likely be extended
  • She and the AMPC co-chairs are working on developing Information Action Briefs
  • We will be looking at the 2021 Budget at the next meeting.

President-Elect Update

Brian Detlor reported that he has secured Jim Jansen as the 2021 Annual Meeting Chair.

SIG Cabinet Update

Jim Andrews reported the following:

  • An email will be sent to SIG chairs describing the funding structure for AM Workshops as well as outlining the process for applying for SIG Development Funds.
  • We are starting to see more SIG webinars.

Chapter Assembly Update

Michael Olsson reported the following:

  • The organizers are talking about holding the AP Regional Meeting in September or October in a virtual format

Fellow Program

The Board reviewed a proposal to develop a Fellow  program to recognize individuals who demonstrate a high level of commitment to and engagement with ASIS&T. On the whole, the Board agreed that while the program has merit, it should not be called “fellow” as that implies a higher level of achievement than what the program describes. The program is intended to be a way to attract and retain members. It was recommended that the Membership Committee revisit the program with a view to:

  • Finding another name that better describes the program
  • Setting more context as to the purpose of the program

Additionally, it was suggested that the Awards and Honors Committee take up the job of defining a true fellow program for ASIS&T.

Strategic Plan

Brian Detlor laid out the fundamentals of the draft strategic plan. There was much discussion of the mission statement and the extent to which research and practice should be balanced. The Board made recommendations on modified language, but on the whole was in favor of the direction of the plan. Action Item: Brian will make the Board’s requested edits and share the plan back to the Board and the Strategic Planning Committee.


APRIL 2020

The Board of Directors met on April 15, 2020 via video conference. In attendance were Clara Chu (President-Elect); Brian Detlor (President-Elect); Ina Fourie (Treasurer); Emily Knox; Agnes Mainka; Soo Young Rieh; Ana Maria Tammaro; Jim Andrews (SIG Cabinet Director); Michael Olsson (Chapter Cabinet Director); Lydia Middleton (Executive Director); and Steve Hardin (Parliamentarian).

Consent Agenda

The consent agenda, which was approved included the following:

  • Draft Minutes of 18 March 2020 Meeting
  • March 2020 Financial Statement
  • March 2020 Membership Report
  • ED Report

President’s Update

ASIS&T President Clara Chu reported on the following items:

  • The AM invitation videos are now on the website.
  • Still working on the keynote speakers
  • Deadline extended to April 27
  • We are talking to the leadership of CAIS to identify opportunities to collaborate around the Annual Meeting
  • The Executive Committee is in the process of conducting the ED review.
  • The JASIST Editor will also be reviewed this year.
  • JASIST print publication has been suspended until further notice. However, we have been assured that once printing resumes subscribers will receive all missed print issues.

Clara Chu then put forth a proposal to undertake a project to position ASIS&T to address society’s grand/global challenges. After much discussion, the Board asked that the concept be taken back to the Strategic Planning Task Force to consider how it might be woven into the existing draft strategic plan that would be vetted through the Board and Membership and to revisit proposals for how to execute such a program once that process is complete.

President-Elect Update

Brian Detlor reported that the Strategic Planning Task Force had received recommendations from the Diversity & Inclusion Task Force as to how to make EDI more prominent in the draft strategic plan. He also reported that committee invitations and appointments have been made. Formal appointment letters will go out in the coming week.

SIG Cabinet Update

James Andrews reported the following:

  • The last ASIS&T Hour focused on the role of SIGs in ASIS&T. There was limited attendance but those on the call identified some interesting ways to make SIG development more accessible to members.
  • The deadlines for SIG reporting and awards is coming up. He will be communicating that to SIG leadership soon.

Chapter Assembly Update

  • Michael Olsson reported that we are seeing significant momentum around starting an Africa Chapter and a meeting would be held that day to discuss this with leadership in the region.
  • He then moved the revised Chapter Restructure Proposal for action. The Board approved the proposal unanimously.

AMPC Terms of Reference

The AMPC Terms of Reference were approved.

Big Ideas Update

The Board reviewed reports from the Governance Committee, the Professional Development Committee, the Publications Committee, and the Research Engagement Committee. All of these committees have made significant progress in their remit for this year. Feedback from the Board will be shared via staff and Board liaisons.

2021 Budget

Due to a lack of time, the 2021 Budget discussion was tabled until the May meeting.