About the History Fund
The ASIS&T History Fund, created for the purposes of supporting and encouraging research and publication in the history of information science and technology was established by the ASIS&T Board of Directors in June, 2000 and changed its name to the Bob Williams History Fund in 2017. This Fund is supported by donations (including book royalties) from ASIS&T members and others with interest in the history of information science and technology. The Fund Advisory Board encourages further donations from anyone interested in supporting the historical study of information science and technology.
Purpose of the Award
The Bob Williams History Fund was created for the purposes of supporting and encouraging research and publication in the history of information science and technology.
The nomination must meet the following qualifications:
- All topics relevant to the history of information science and technology will be considered.
- The paper may have been previously published or submitted to a journal.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the central topic or question to be researched to the history of information science and technology.
- Completeness of submission
Nominations must be submitted by 11:59 pm US Pacific Time on the deadline date.
Nominations must include:
- A cover letter;
- A current CV/Resume of the author; and
- The paper, carrying no author identification.
Previous year’s nominations may be re-considered by the Jury.
Award winners shall be selected by a jury appointed by the History Committee. The Chair of SIG-HFIS serves as the Chair of this jury. The Jury shall make one award or none, but reserves the right to designate runners-up, if the quality of the entries so merit.
Nature of the Award
The award consists of a prize of up to US$500 and a certificate signed by the ASIS&T President.
Presentation of the Award
The award shall be presented by the Chair of the History Committee at the Awards Ceremony held during the ASIS&T Annual Meeting.
- Jury Appointment: March 15
- Submission Deadline: April 16
- Selection Deadline: May 15
Dissemination and Notification process
- The award shall be publicized by the Association for Information Science and Technology and the Society through various communication vehicles. Publicity is the responsibility of ASIS&T Headquarters.
- The Jury Chair shall communicate the jury’s decision to the award winner, the ASIS&T President, the chair of the History Committee, the Chair of the Awards and Honors Committee, and the ASIS&T Executive Director.
- The ASIS&T Executive Director will liaise with the winner following notification to coordinate publicity, attendance at the Annual Meeting, etc.
- The Jury Chair shall provide a ~250-word abstract, stating why the award was given. This abstract will be used to publicize the award. Material for this abstract can be taken from the voting rationales provided by members of the jury.