The Association for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T) is seeking to hire a Communications Officer for a one-year term (with the possibility of renewal). ASIS&T is a leading association that bridges the gap between information science practice and research. For nearly 80 years, ASIS&T has been leading the search for new and better theories, techniques, and technologies to improve access to information. Its members include thousands of researchers, developers, practitioners, students, and professors in the field of information science and technology from 50 countries.
We seek a Communications Officer to assist in the promotion and presentation of a consistent image of ASIS&T as a major association of international caliber at the service of its community. This includes the development and implementation of communication strategies consistent with the Association’s mission and objectives; developing the provision of internal and external communications regarding the Association’s actions, membership affairs and services; building strong relationships with members, Special Interest Groups, Chapters, external organizations and communities of interest; and conducting campaigns to increase the membership of the Association. It also includes the development and implementation of marketing strategies; the preparation of proposals, solicitations and memoranda of agreement to address membership needs and create new business opportunities; the development and implementation of strategies to maximize membership drive success and increase membership involvement with the Association; and the creation and selling of value-added solutions to maintain and increase high quality products/relationships.
- Develop, guide and implement communication strategies and plans to assist the Association to meet strategic objectives regarding its goals including educational programs, research activities, public seminars, and professional development workshops. Strategies and plans should focus on online sources (e.g. website, social media) to increase membership recruitment in collaboration with relevant committees, and internal communication sources (e.g. wikis, listserves) to inform members and the community about Association activities, events, policies and regulations.
- Administer the Association’s website and perform content review and user testing on a regular basis. This will involve collaboration with the Executive Director and the Board.
- Oversee the production and distribution of promotional materials, which would include supervising the development of branding, graphics and content. Supervision of part-time staff and/or support staff will be involved.
- Create branded, interactive user experiences using social media tools to communicate information about ASIS&T members, events, and activities, ASIS&T publications, Special Interest Group and Chapter activities, and content relevant to information science and technology. Assess needs of the membership and coordinate with the Webmaster, technical staff, and the Executive Director to facilitate and sustain all forms of engagement, including online and offline interactions.
- Develop, implement and document knowledge management strategies and practices to ensure knowledge continuity regarding communication.
- Actively participate in the Communication Committee, document the activities of the committee and attend Board meetings when needed. The incumbent may organize and participate in the training of others (e.g. training for website design).
A Master’s degree in one (or more) of these fields: Communications & Media studies, Public Relations, Marketing & Advertising, Education, LIS, STS, Sociology, Information Systems, Information Science, or Computer Science, or other related fields are appropriate.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Experience with Web content management, social media, knowledge management, information architecture, user experience, digital asset management, graphic design and media software. Ability to prioritize and manage several projects at once, and to work well autonomously and as part of a team. Strong web design skills. Strong attention to detail. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. To apply, please send cover letter, resume/CV, references, and samples or links of work to email@example.com.