Best JASIST Paper Award
Purpose of the Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize the best refereed paper published in the volume year of the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) preceding the ASIS&T annual meeting.
The award recipient must meet the following qualifications:
- All papers published in the volume year of JASIST preceding the ASIS&T annual meeting are eligible for the award. (Opinion Papers articles are not eligible).
- Authors need not be members of ASIS&T to be nominated for the award but must become members prior to the conferral of the award.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Societal or scientific/technical significance of the topic or problem investigated or expounded (universality, urgency, impact, etc.);
- Usefulness of the paper to practicing information professionals (applicability, timeliness, scope, problem-solving value, etc.); and
- Relevance of the topic or problem to the interests of information science and technology.
- Professional Merit
- Creativity and originality, as reflected in new insights, interpretations, facts, innovations, methods, applications, etc. (stimulating, informative, enlightening, etc.);
- Scientific and professional quality of the research, review, development work, methods of inquiry, etc. (competent, valid, replicable, etc.); and
- Scholarship embodied in the presentation, explanations, interpretations, and discussions (researched, documented, balanced, critical, etc.).
- Presentation Quality
- Readability, effective organization and presentation of concepts, facts, arguments, etc. (structure, logic, persuasiveness, etc.);
- Use of clear, concise, comprehensible, and jargon-free language (ease and pleasure of reading); and
- Adherence to “Instructions for Contributors” found in the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology for format, graphics, citations, etc.
The JASIST Editorial Board is responsible for nominating papers for this award.
Award winners shall be selected by a jury composed of ASIS&T members.
- Jury members will rate each nominee on a scale of 5 (highest) to 1 (lowest) on each of the three criteria listed in section 3, and send their ratings to the jury chair by April 30. Jury members should also submit 1-2 sentences for each nominee summarizing what they see as the most exemplary accomplishments of that nominee.
- The jury chair shall tally the votes, with professional merit weighted as 40% of the overall score, contribution weighted as 40% of the overall score, and presentation quality weighted as 20% of the overall score. The nominee with the highest point total shall be the winner. The jury chair shall use the qualitative feedback from the jury as well as their own judgment to write a ~250 word abstract stating the rationale for making the award.
- In the event of a tie, the jury chair will identify an additional jury member to break the tie. This new jury member will evaluate only the tied nominations, and will rate them using the same three criteria used by the other jurors.
Nature of the Award
The John Wiley & Sons Best JASIST Paper Award was established in 1969. The award is sponsored by John Wiley & Sons and is administered by the Awards & Honors Committee. The award shall consist of a $1,500 cash award, $500 towards travel or other expenses to the grant recipient, contingent upon the recipient’s attending the ASIS&T annual meeting, and a certificate presented to each of the authors.
Presentation of the Award
The award shall be presented at the Awards Ceremony held during the ASIS&T Annual Meeting.
- Jury Appointment: March 15
- Submission Deadline: March 31 (or adjacent weekday)
- Selection Deadline: May 15