METRICS 2020: ASIS&T VIRTUAL WORKSHOP ON INFORMETRICS AND SCIENTOMETRICS RESEARCH
Workshop sponsored by ASIS&T SIG/MET
ASIS&T 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting
- Part I: Thursday, October 22, 2020, 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. EDT
- Part II: Friday, October 23, 2020, 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. EDT
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The ASIS&T Special Interest Group for Metrics (SIG/MET) invites contributions to the METRICS 2020 workshop, which will be held prior to the 83rd ASIS&T Annual Meeting.
The workshop continues the successful SIG/MET workshop series held annually since 2011 by providing an opportunity to present and discuss research in the fields of informetrics, scientometrics, bibliometrics, altmetrics, quantitative science studies, and information retrieval among experienced researchers, young academics, and practitioners. We invite abstracts describing empirical or theoretical work related, but not limited to:
- New indicators and methods and tools
- Scholarly communication
- Social media metrics (altmetrics)
- Bibliometric-enhanced information retrieval
- Open access, open science
- Patent analysis
- Research evaluation
The following four types of submission are accepted:
- Research presentations, for completed or in-progress research.
- Posters for work in early stages or best presented visually.
- Tutorials for practical information on a tool or method.
- Panels for discussions on a specific topic.
Please indicate the type of submission by naming the file in the following format:
Metrics20_FirstAuthorLastName_SubmissionType (Presentation, Poster, Tutorial, Panel). All submissions should be in the form of a two-page extended abstract using APA style. Where appropriate, up to three figures/tables can be provided. Do not include any author names on the file you upload.
The abstracts of accepted papers and posters, as well as the presentation slides, will be published on figshare. Figshare allocates DOIs to uploaded content and each publication will be linked from the SIG/MET website to enhance visibility and retrievability of presented research.
Please submit your abstract as a PDF to the SIG-MET track through the ConfTool system.
Submissions will be evaluated based on their relevance to the workshop and their methodological soundness (where applicable), and brief feedback will be given in narrative format.
The best paper will be selected by a committee from all accepted (first author as a non-student) workshop papers regardless of their topic.
For the best student paper, the first author of the paper entered into this contest must be a full-time student at the time of submission, irrespective of ASIS&T or SIG/MET membership.
NOTE: If you are eligible and would like to be considered for the student paper award, please tick the box in the Student Contribution section certifying that “[t]his contribution was solely written by students and/or doctoral candidates” on the submission page, even if the co-authors are non-student.
The winners of both awards will be decided by a double-blind peer review process from the accepted submissions. We offer a cash prize of $1000 for Best Paper Award (sponsored by Altmetric and Dimensions) and $1000 for Best Student Paper Award. The awards will be decided before presentations take place, but the authors must present at the workshop to qualify.
- Submissions due: August 23, 2020
- Notifications: September 27, 2020
- Workshop: October 22–23, 2020, 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. EDT
In an effort to provide an open venue for metrics research communication and discussion, we are offering a discounted registration fee this year:
- First 50 registrations: free for both students and non-students.
- After 50: $20 for students; $40 registration fee for non-students.
More details can be found at ASIS&T 83rd Annual Meeting Registration and Additional Information.
- Shenmeng Xu, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA (email@example.com)
- Fei Shu, Hangzhou Dianzi University, Hangzhou, China; Université de Montréal, Montréal, Canada (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Philippe Mongeon, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada (email@example.com)